Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Grief

Grief looks a lot like depression. I have battled depression and the feelings of sadness, anxiety and the need to self medicate with donuts is uncomfortable at best. It is always a bit embarrassing to weep uncontrollably in public places with no control whatsoever to common etiquette. My grandmother passed away last week and I recently returned from her funeral. I didn't know her. The effort was never made to have a "relationship" by either side. I went out of respect for the family bond and my relationship with my father, who lost his mother. I was surprised by the amount of grieving I had to do. It came out of nowhere. It hit me like a lead balloon. The sadness was overwhelming and I cried and cried and was in awe of how affected I was by this death. I felt anxious for no good reason (except the grief) and over-medicated quite a bit. Added to that were the relations I was introduced to at the funeral. Some I am curious about, some I am avoiding and some I would like to pursue a further relationship with in another time and place. How does one go about contacting a (long lost) cousin and say, "I think you are cool and I think we could be friends"? My grandmother once met Eleanor Roosevelt. Why did I never know that? She was a work horse and I remember her teasing me and laughing a lot when I was little. I like that about my memory of her. I will cling to that. Rest in Peace Bertha Hirsch. Amen.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Hi Wendy,
I'm so sorry to hear of your Grandma passing. It is never easy to lose a loved one, even if we have never really been close to them. I experience that with my family. As you know, all of the family I was close to has passed on. The rest of my family,
wel...that's another story. I think I sort of understand what you might be feeling. If one of my uncles happened to die, I don't know that I'd know what to think. I have memories of him from when I was little, and as I've gotten older, however since I've never really been close to that uncle...I think it would be hard. I'd probably be asking myself some of the same questions you have asked. Why did I not grow closer to this person? Sometimes, people don't allow us to get close to them. That is always tough too. I don't know if any of this made any sense, or will help at all, but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. In fact, I've been wondering how you and Sophie are? I'm sorry I caught up to you after this sad time. Lots of love and hugs, and if you need anything, let us know!