Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jesus Shaves

A wonderful new cd (at least new to me) from the group the Roches. The CD is titled Moonswept. Two songs really caught my attention from the beginning

1. No Shoes, a witty song about how we are never satisfied with what we have. Lyric includes:

I had no shoes and I complained until I met a man who had no feet,
that's really beat.

I had no feet and I complained until I met a man who had no knees,
that's his disease.


It goes on like this for 4:11.

2. Jesus Shaves. A story about Jesus living the corporate american dream until he was laid off, (grows his beard back) and went to tech school to become a welder. The refrain goes like this:

Blessed are the ones who make peace;
Blessed are the ones who scrape by;
Blessed are the ones livin' holy lives;
and here's to those of us who try.


Wit and wisdom if I ever heard it!

1 comment:

Trapper said...

The Roches are a wonderful group. I bought their first album when Miss Wendy was in elementary school. Anyone who hasn't heard their Christmas album is missing one of life's true joys.

The chorus that is quoted reminds me of "Salt of the Earth" by the Rolling Stones.

Lets drink to the hard working people

Lets think of the lowly of birth

Spare a thought for the rag taggy people

Lets drink to the salt of the earth