Wednesday, July 16, 2008

new experience

I am working on a degree to teach blind or visually impaired students. I have worked in the area of special education for more than 15 years. I been working with deaf and hard of hearing students for a long time. I am sensitive to the needs of those with disabilities. I am politically correct not for the political reasons of it, but for the human needs of it.

I had a new experience today. I am attending a workshop and the presenter is himself deaf and blind. His teaching environment was too dark, so they brought in extra powerful lights. Well, since my eye surgery in the spring, I have light sensitivity in my vision. While the lights were accommodating for the presenter, they were blinding to me. I got repositioned in the back hallway of the room. I felt so dis-connected with the group being shoved off to "crip corner".

My question today is how can we accommodate everyone. I (selfishly) feel his need for more light is the same as my need for less light. We can't be in the same room. He is a presenter and I am a learner. I guess he wins today.

How can I learn from this experience and apply it to my profession?

I welcome your comments.

No comments: